Nothing beats the sound of an acoustic guitar, also it is the guitar with which everybody starts their guitar lessons. Selecting a good guitar is very important, because it should give the right sound and feel right when you are holding it in your hands. Also, a good guitar will last for many years, when cared for properly. Here are some pointers that will help you in selecting the right acoustic guitar.
There are certain things that need to be kept in mind while purchasing an acoustic guitar. Here are some tips that will come handy when you go on that shopping trip.
- If you are looking at majoring in music or if you believe that guitar playing could become a serious hobby, then go for the best-quality guitar that you can afford. If you are looking for a guitar that will last for a few years or can’t afford a high-quality guitar, then you can select a basic but decent quality inexpensive guitar.
- Find out the stores in town which have a good collection of guitars and make a list. Look into as many stores as possible and as many guitars as possible. Hold the guitars and play them to check if they feel right.
- Whenever you browse through the collection at these stores, it may be a good idea to go with a friend or a teacher who understand guitars well.
- It is important that you check the workmanship of the guitar, regarding the seating and polish of the frets, the binding between the top and sides, and the finish. Budget guitars which cost less will be made of cheaper materials, have lesser quality of workmanship, and many finishing defects. However, the premium quality ones will have a perfect finish on all the components, and you can be assured that even the interior bracing will be properly glued and smoothly sanded.
- When buying a guitar, keep in mind the sound the guitar makes, the right hold, and the workmanship; rather than fantasizing about a beautifully-colored guitar.
- Check the prices online on different guitars and compare the store prices.
- In case you are left-handed and the guitar which you like is made for people who are right-handed, you can ask the store people to fix it for you. Small children while learning to play guitar have some trouble with moving their fingers fast on the fingerboard, and hence, you can purchase a small-sized guitar for their convenience.
Try to go to the old shops in town, which have a good collection of musical instruments. People in these shops tend to have experience and buy their guitar from good suppliers and keep good brands. Apart from buying guitar from such places, you can also pick some good accessories and maybe bargain with the store manager to lower the prices. Mostly you will get the picks for playing guitar free, but in case you don’t select a normal hard pick to get started with your guitar lessons.